Health experts agree, spending time in nature can improve your wellbeing. With an abundance of natural wonders, waterways, forests and parks throughout the South Sound, getting out and exploring the lush landscape we call home is a great way to stay healthy and learn more about the community. Whether you enjoy hiking, fishing, swimming, kayaking, meditating or walking your dog, there truly is something for everyone. As you venture outdoors this summer, consider adding the following attractions to your healthy activity list:
- Dune Peninsula Park – This newly opened, waterfront attraction features 11 acres of sweeping, scenic views, a winding, paved trail and the 605-foot-long, 50-foot-tall Wilson Way bridge, making it a great place for walking, running and biking.
- Crystal Mountain Gondola Rides – Enjoy a breathtaking, bird’s-eye view of Mt. Rainier and the Cascade Range as you’ll travel almost 2,500 vertical feet to the summit in an 8-passenger gondola.
- Day Camps for Kids – Whether your kids are into art, music, science, sports or outdoor adventures, be sure to check out the camps offered by Metro Parks Tacoma, Pierce County and PenMet Parks
- Dog Parks – Have some dog-gone-fun outdoorswith your 4-legged family members. You’ll find a comprehensive list of fenced and partially fenced off-leash dog parks around Tacoma here.
- Water Sports – Stand Up Paddleboarding and kayaking are fantastic ways to get in shape while having fun in the sun.
- River Fishing – With a vast network of rivers to choose from, finding a great place to cast your line is likely just a hop, skip and a jump away.
Do you have a special outdoor place where you like to enjoy the health benefits of being in nature? Share your favorites with us!