When it comes to taking care of our community, access to quality healthcare is essential. That’s why MultiCare started a Health Equity Strategic Plan (HESP) in 2015 to ensure everyone receives the best healthcare available, regardless of factors like race, ethnicity, language, gender identity, sexual orientation, income and social status.
In 2017, MultiCare signed the 1-2-3 for Equity Pledge to further their dedication to eliminating healthcare disparities, which – despite overall improvements – still exist for some racially, ethnically and culturally diverse individuals. The benefits of the Equity Pledge and HESP include MultiCare’s commitment to the following key areas:
- Cultural Competency Training – Mandatory training for all MultiCare staff and leaders instructs staff how to identify if a patient has cultural needs, which should be considered when designing care plans.
- Workforce Diversity– As an Equal Opportunity Employer, MultiCare is committed to recruiting talented employees with valuable expertise from different races, religions, genders, sexual orientations and other protected classes.
- Language– Interpreter services are offered to MultiCare patients at no cost. These services are available through a live person, video and over-the-phone.
- Community Engagement– MultiCare cares about and is committed to the community. In fact, their mission statement is “partnering for healing and a healthy future.” They put this mission to work with a number of community partnerships to promote health
- Data Collection– Collecting and using race, ethnicity, language & socio-economic data helps MultiCare provide the highest level of care to every patient. This data also allows them to evaluate their health equity success and opportunities for improvement.
To learn more about Multi Care’s initiatives and programs to promote health equity, visit the MultiCare Center for Health Equity and Wellness.